Protected pages are pages that have restrictions on editing or moving. Protections are applied and removed by administrators. Several types of restrictions can be used on Lockwiki:
- Full protection prevents editing by everyone except administrators. Fully protected media files cannot be overwritten by new uploads.
- Semi-protection prevents editing by unregistered contributions and contributors with accounts which are not autoconfirmed.
- Creation protection prevents a previously deleted page from being recreated.
- Move protection protects the page solely from moves.
Any type of protection or unprotection may be requested at Lockwiki talk:Protection policy. Changes to a protected page should be proposed on the corresponding talk page, and carried out if they are uncontroversial or if there is consensus for them. A log of protections and unprotections is available at Special:Log/protect.
Except in the case of official Lockwiki policies and high-profile pages, administrators may unprotect a page if the reason for its protection no longer applies, a reasonable period has elapsed, and there is no consensus that continued protection is necessary. Contacting the administrator who originally protected the page is advised in unclear circumstances.
Protection happens for a variety of reasons, all of which are intended to promote the well being of the site, editors, and users.
- To protect a high-profile or high-traffic page (such as the Main Page).
- To preserve Lockwiki's policies or legal pages, such as Lockwiki:General disclaimer.
- To prevent vandalism or spam on a particular page.
- To prevent edit or move wars between editors.
|This article is a stub. You can help Lockwiki by expanding it.|