CISA was established in Florence by Luigi Bucci in 1926 and soon became famous for their electric lock, patented in 1926. During World War 2, the company's plant in Florence was destroyed and CISA rebuilt their manufacturing capabilities in the city of Ravenna. During the 1970s, the company grew exponentially and opened new plants in Ascoli Piceno and Perguia.
In 1983, CISA opened a new plant in Spain which marked their expansion into Europe. In 1992, the corporation aquired Bricard in France and established a subsidiary in the United Kingdom. International expansion proceeded by establishment in Venezuela, South Africa and Singapore.
Today CISA is a member of Ingersoll Rand's security technologies division.